Saturday, September 12, 2009

TGIF

Its Friday and Frankie has finished most of her homework, therefore, she gets to pick a restaurant...


Hualien is full of surprises, and most are quite pleasant. Today Alex and I play at a different location due to a tournament at our club. I drove by this place many times, but the courts are well hidden from the road. What a spot! Its right on a top of a hill, looking over the ocean and a lagoon on the east side, and a perfect view of the majestic mountain range to the west side.

It was very hot today. I thought the summer heat was over, but today it returned with a vengeance. We played at 8am and the mercury has already hit 35C, which is 95F. I can't say that I am getting used to the heat, because how can anyone get used to living inside an oven? But I do prefer this heat over the cold and damp weather of the Pacific Northwest. The dry and cracked skin at the bottom of my feet are now all gone, replaced by a silky smooth layer which no amount of oil or cream could do living in the artificially heated boxes of Canada. Also disappeared is the dry flaky and itchy skin all over my limbs. The humidity here is an instant cure. Goodbye skin creams and goodbye Oil of Olay.......Another plus for this tropical heat is the fact that we dry our clothes in the sun instead of using a dryer. It only takes half a day to dry and our clothes smell and feel great. I guess many people don't realize that the chemicals such as "bounce" we throw in the dryers could cause many allergies, not just topically but also to our bronchial system. I have always wondered why as kids growing up in Hong Kong, we never had any skin allergy problems; not until we have lived in Canada for a few years.

One negative about the tropical humidity is the slowness in healing wounds. Frankie's scraped knees would have formed scabs within two or three days in the dry Canadian climate, but it has taken well over a week here and her wounds are still pinkish and tender........think I'll try a blow dryer on her knees........

No comments:

Post a Comment