Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My friend Alex Pan

I met Alex the first week, at the tennis courts as I picked up a game with him. We've been playing almost everyday, and playing singles with him is a real workout. He is eight years senior of me, but he is fit. We are pretty even and everyday is a battle as we play two sets in about two hours in the sizzling heat. I drink at least a gallon (4.5 liter) of water a day here, comparing to an average of one liter in Canada, if that. Alex invited us to lunch today at his country home, about 20 minutes outside of Hualien. It reminds me of 新界 in the old Hong Kong......

Alex is an English teacher at a local high school, but a very colorful fellow as he grew up very poor and spent his youth as a soldier in Chiang Kai Shek's army. I call him Chinese crocodile dundee as he goes deep in the mountains to catch poisonous snakes to make "snake wine". Crazy bugger.....

He also spent some time in Scotland where he picked up the habit of scotch and cigar. Whyte Cheung will really enjoy his company, and most of you too. His statue and mannerism reminds me very much of John Mah, even the way he wears and wipes his glasses, and the way he laughs, darn!

After lunch and a bottle of scotch later (I seldom drink scotch, so you have to pardon my language in the videos as I was high as a kite), Alex shows us his acre of land where he raises his own chicken, escargots, and veggies. He also brings home boulders from the mountains, where he has a workshop to cut and polish these rocks into beautiful gems. Because you need running water when cutting stones, he often gets electricuted when the water touches his grinder. No big deal he says, just a shock. One time his grinder slipped and he cut his vein on his wrist with blood pouring out. Being a distance from a nearby hospital, he stitched the open wound with pins to stop the bleeding. The doctor jokingly told him to go home as he was already stitched.....what a guy!

Upon leaving after a three hour lunch, his beautiful and very youthful wife invites us back for supper. I can hardly wait....but I'll need some help with the scotch, are you listening Mr Cheung?

No comments:

Post a Comment