Sunday, March 21, 2010

Linguine with fresh clams

Well folks, I have lost over 20 lbs now, but the more weight I lose, the more I eat. At least it seems that way. Living in Hualien is a dream come true: there are abundance of fresh local veggies, fruits and produce, and bountiful of local fresh fish and shellfish. Seafood and veggies are my favorite foods.......

Among many local shell fish, there is one type of clam which truly stands out. It is called 海瓜子, you can read more about it here: http://www.hudong.com/wiki/%E6%B5%B7%E7%93%9C%E5%AD%90.

If you don't read Chinese, simply have the page translated at
Google:http://translate.google.com/#zh-CNen

These clams are so delicious, and so useful in cooking. They are low in fat and cholesterol, but high in protein. It only takes a minute to cook, and the broth is delicious by simply adding a few slices of fresh ginger. I use the clam meat for pastas, salads, and lately I've been making a type of Cioppino, which is a tomato based fish and seafood stew which is very popular among Italians and Portugese people.
Today's lunch was Linguine with fresh clams, and it was perfect. My mid day meal is my biggest and best meal of the day, as I try to eat lightly at dinner time while continuing with an Herbalife shake for breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment