Sunday, March 14, 2010

The turning point of my (mid) life

As some of you may already know, one of the reasons for us to relocate to Taiwan was simply to provide a chance for Frankie to learn the Chinese language and culture, which is not something she can easily do in Canada. Another reason is for Rebecca to go back to her roots, a chance to be "home" again. There is also one other reason, and that is for me to get fit again. Its much easier to get up and go for a run when its 25C outside which is the average temperature here in Hualien. I find the cold and damp weather on the Canadian west coast wearing me out as we go from one heated box to another at least eight months of a year.
But instead of becoming fit, I was becoming fatter. There are so much new and different tasting food here and you all know how much I love eating. By Christmas, my weight ballooned to just over 200 pounds. I could see myself digging my own grave, eating myself to death sooner or later. I could not face my self in the mirror anymore. In fact, I could not see my own toes when standing up!!! Guess what else I could not see when standing up? OK, that is not funny.....
So, I said to myself, you better smarten up and get fit again, or else all that I have worked for will mean nothing if I don't live long enough to enjoy it. But where and how can I start?
It so happened that a breakfast bar opened in one of the commercial spaces below us in the same building, and the owner is an Herbalife distributor. Rebecca and I had some success with Herbalife products before in Canada, but we did not persist and it was time wasted. So, I began having an Herbalife shake for breakfast every morning in this breakfast bar, instead of my regular noodles, buns, soya milk, congee, dim sum etc etc. What is good about Herbalife is that I don't need to change my diet too much, in fact, I don't diet at all. I start with a shake every morning, and drink between 4000 to 6000cc water everyday, and have a normal lunch and normal dinner. If I'm hungry before bed, I'll have another shake. The shake provides plenty of vitamins and minerals, and the large amount of water flushes out the toxins and the fats in my body. Before Herbalife, 4000 to 6000cc water was my weekly intake! Years and years of dehydration alone can send people to their premature death. I think this is the single most important thing anyone can do to improve their health without doing anything else.
Of course, along with regular exercises, fresh air, and good rest, my weight has nowhere to go but down.

I often go to the Herbalife meetings although I have no plan to become involved yet. Often they have very good speakers and it is very inspirational to be there. The first video shows the poster boy of Taiwan Herbalife. This guy lost over 200lbs using the products, absolutely amazing! He went from the death bed to a pedestal as almost everyone in Taiwan has seen his "before and after" pictures.

Next up was a 78 year old woman, who had the typical maladies of an aging person and has become healthier after using the products. She no longer needs a cane and her medications have been reduced. I think our mom can benefit from this, but one needs to be disciplined and has the true desire to become healthy to be successful.

I know MLM and network marketing has a bad rap, but these products and most importantly, the daily support from the Herbalife folks play a major role as the turning point of my mid life. I am very thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment